About the Great Bend Chorale:
The Great Bend Chorale is an award-winning, un-auditioned choral ensemble open to all, age 14 and older, regardless of skill level or training. Led by Great Bend Center for Music’s founder, Matthew Melendez, the ensemble focuses primarily on choral-orchestral programs that are performed in collaboration with professional teaching artists.
Beginning in spring term, the Great Bend Chorale and Youth Chorale will begin in-person rehearsals to prepare for a revival of their American Prize-winning cantata “Borders” this summer.
Attendance & Rehearsals:
The Great Bend Chorale is a hybrid virtual/in-person program that meets twice a week:
- Starting June 6, 2022: Monday at 7pm: Singers meet on Zoom for 45 minutes of instruction
- Dependent on local case counts: Tuesday at 6:30pm: Rehearsals are held in-person at the New Community Church of Union
The Chorale’s purpose is to bring together people from different parts of the communities we serve in an environment of mutual respect and appreciation. For this reason the ensemble is non-auditioned. Singers of all levels of skill and experience are welcome, and learning is focused on helping participants identify and develop their innate musical strengths.
The board of directors and staff are following guidelines set out by municipal, state and national public health agencies, guided by best practices and research provided by choral agencies such as Chorus America and the American Choral Directors Association, and the awareness that choral singing is a particularly high risk activity and that we tend to serve a high-risk population.
For these reasons:
- All participants (singers, orchestra musicians, soloists, staff and volunteers) ages 8 and above are to be fully vaccinated before taking part in any Great Bend choral activity (rehearsal, retreat, concert, volunteer event). This means that your final vaccine dose was received at least 10 days prior to the date of your first activity.
- Participants who cannot provide proof of vaccination will be required to take a rapid test, on-site, and show a negative result, prior to participation in each rehearsal, retreat or performance activity.
- Everyone must wear a KN95 mask that covers your nose and mouth when you are inside and participating in any Great Bend Chorale or Youth Chorale rehearsal, retreat, or performance event.
- The number of participants at rehearsals and performances, either indoor or outdoor, will be limited by state and local mandates and by policies adopted by the venue’s owners.
- No one who has currently tested positive for the COVID-19 or is awaiting test results is permitted to participate.
- No one displaying or reporting any cold or flu-like symptoms is permitted to participate.
- Participants (and/or parents of participants) will need to attest to the fact at each rehearsal that their chorister has not had a known COVID-19 exposure in the past 10 days.
- No one who has been in contact with someone who is COVID-19 positive or believes that they may have been exposed to the COVID-19 within 10 days prior to a rehearsal or performance is permitted to participate.
- Parents who choose to stay during rehearsal cannot wait inside the venue and must wait outside or in their cars.
- Only two people are allowed in a bathroom at a time.
- Mitigation plans must be in place in the event an attendee of a rehearsal or performance later is found to be COVID-19 positive. The information is to be shared and appropriate steps taken by those present up to and including testing and self-quarantine.
- All participants must sign Great Bend’s COVID-19 Vaccine Affirmation and Great Bend Chorale Waiver form and accept the risks of rehearsing and performing.